Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
Frequent Questions
Contact Us
Skip navigation links
Office of the Undersheriff
Financial Services
Planning & Research
Administrative Services Bureau
Human ResourcesExpand Human Resources
Technology Services
Training SectionExpand Training Section
Civil Section
Property & Evidence Unit
Public Administrator
Detentions Bureau
Central Receiving Facility
Court Services/Transportation
Lerdo Facilities DivisionExpand Lerdo Facilities Division
AB900Jail Construction
Law Enforcement Bureau
Metro Patrol
SubstationsExpand Substations
Investigations Bureau
Air Support
Detective SectionExpand Detective Section
Records SectionExpand Records Section
Special Enforcement
Special OperationsExpand Special Operations
Volunteer ServicesExpand Volunteer Services
> Misc > Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  How do I contact the Kern County Sheriff's Office?

A.  Click HERE for contact information.


Q.  How do I qualify for a Concealed Weapons Permit?

A.  Contact the Vice / Licensing Unit for information on the application procedure.  Their phone number is: 661-391-7500.


Q.  How do I find out if someone is in custody?

A.  You can click HERE to visit our Online Inmate Search or contact the appropriate custodial facility.  Click HERE for the phone numbers.


Q.  How do I obtain a copy of a crime report?
A.  Crime reports are available through the Crime Reports Unit.  There is no cost to obtain a report. The daily event summary will be produced upon request at no cost.

Our public hours are 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Our office is located at 1350 Norris Road, Bldg. B, just west of Airport Drive in Bakersfield.


Q.  How do I obtain photos from my case?

A.  Photos are distributed by Technical Investigations at a cost of $5.00 per print.  Payment must be arranged through the Records Division before photos will be printed.


Q.  What records can I get at Arrest Records?
A.  The Arrest Records Section is located at the Central Receiving Facility behind Superior Court at 1415 Truxtun Avenue. Our office hours are Mon-Thur 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., excluding weekends and holidays.

If you wish to obtain your local criminal history, you must submit fingerprints to the Department of Justice. Fingerprinting is done by appointment only, Mon – Thur 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.. You must present valid photo ID. There is a $10 fee for this service plus applicable State fees: $25 for most purposes; $35 if your criminal history is needed for adoption or immigration/visa purposes. The Department of Justice will respond by mailing you your State criminal history. These responses can take from two (2) to twenty (20) weeks, depending on the length of your criminal history.

Local criminal history information is also available by accessing the Superior Court website.

Warrant information is available by contacting the Kern County Superior Court at one of the following numbers:
Felony – (661) 868-5393 and select option #4
Misdemeanor – (661) 868-7207
Traffic – (661) 868-2382


Q.  I need to be fingerprinted.  Where can I have this done?
A.  A list of Kern County live scan sites is available at the Office of the Attorney General website. This list includes the address, phone number, and business hours of each site, along with their local rolling fee. State fees vary and are subject to change by the Department of Justice.

You must present a completed “Request For Live Scan Services” form. These forms are not available at the live scan sites. Your perspective employer or licensing agency must provide them to you. You must present valid photo ID, and applicable State and local fees. Kern County will not accept counter checks or out-of-state checks.

Inked prints are rolled for federal employment and licensing only. The cost is $10 per card.


Q.  I am required to register with local law enforcement.  What do I need to do?
A.  If you have previously registered with our agency as a narcotic offender and you need to complete a change of address, you may do so through the mail. A letter indicating your full name, date of birth, and new address with a copy of your old registration receipt may be mailed to the Registration Unit at 1415 Truxtun Avenue, Bakersfield, CA 93301.

All first time registrants, registrants moving into Kern County, all sex, arson, and gang registrants, or those individuals ordered by the court to be fingerprinted and photographed, must appear in person. Be prepared to wait in line for this service. You must arrive no later than 12:30 to ensure you will be assisted.


Q.  How do I obtain information on registered sex offenders?

A.  Click HERE to obtain registered High-Risk Sex Offender Information. For information on all other registered sex offenders you may go to the Attorney General’s website.


Q.  Where can I find information on Kern County Ordinance Codes?

A.  Click HERE to view the Kern County Ordinance Code.


Q.  Where can I obtain information on Civil Matters?

A.  Click HERE for information regarding Civil matters.


Q.  Who do I contact regarding drug activity?

A.  You may call the Narcotics Hotline at (661) 392-6003 with any information you wish to report regarding drug activity.


Q. Who do I contact regarding gang activity?

A.  You may call the Gang Hotline at (661) 392-6000 with any information you wish to report regarding gang activity.